VERB PATTERNS, CLAUSES OF PURPOSE, GERUND, PARTICIPLE

mardi 24 décembre 2013





Verbs + -ing
adore
can't stand
don't mind
enjoy
finish
look forward to


doing
swimming
cooking

Notes
We often use the verb go + -ing for sports and activities:
I go swimming every day.
I go shopping on weekends.
Verbs + to + infinitive
agree
choose
dare
decide
expect
forget
help
hope
learn
manage
need
offer
promise
refuse
seem
want
would hate
would like
would love
would prefer









to do
to come
to cook

Notes

Help and dare can be used without to:
We helped clean up the kitchen.
We didn't dare disagree with him.

We use have to for obligation:
I have to wear a uniform.

Used to (or would) expresses past habits:
I used to smoke, but I quit last year.
Verbs + sb + to + infinitive
advise
allow
ask
beg
encourage
expect
help
invite
need
order
remind
tell
want
warn
would like






me
him
them
someone






to do
to go
to come
Notes

Help can be used without to:
I helped him do the dishes.

Verbs + sb + infinitive (not to)
help
let
make


her
us



Do
Notes
To is used with make  in the passive:
We were made to work hard.

Let cannot be used in the passive. Allowed to is used instead:
She was allowed to leave.
Verbs + -ing or to + infinitive
(with little or no change in meaning)
begin
continue
hate
like
love
prefer
start
intend





doing
to do


Verbs + -ing or to + infinitive
(with a change in meaning)
remember
stop
try
regret
forget



doing
to do

Notes
I remember posting the letter.
(= I have a memory of the past action.)

I remembered to post the letter.
(= I didn't forget to do it.)

I stopped drinking coffee. (= I gave up the habit.)


I stopped to drink a coffee. (= I stopped in order to have a cup of coffee.)

I tried to sleep. (but it was difficult)

I tried counting sheep. (a way of getting to sleep.)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Most Reading