Past Perfect simple OR past perfect continous

mardi 24 décembre 2013



 

A.    The Past Perfect Simple


Forms:         After I had told him the truth, I felt much better.
                   When I arrived, they had already gone.
                   She said she hadn't met him before.
USES:

In reported speech: referring to things that had happened before the time of speaking/thinking.
                   Sara told me she had met Dave the day before.
                   I thought I had seen that man somewhere before.
         The policeman man asked Mathew if he had witnessed the accident
In if-sentences, type III (impossible).
                   The dog wouldn't have snapped at you if you hadn't teased it.
                   If I had known myself, I would have told you.




B.    Past Perfect Continuous



Forms:         He was tired because he had been working hard all day.
She had been wandering around for some time before she asked someone the way.
USES :

                   For longer actions that had begun before a given time in the past and that were still going on at this given time.
                   [The past perfect continuous relates to the past just as the present perfect continuous relates to the present.]
                   When I got there they had already been waiting for two hours.
                   [they had begun waiting two hours before and they were still waiting when I got there]
                   The body had been lying unnoticed for a long time before it was found.
                  



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Most Reading